Friday 26 February 2016

In all my 63 years of crochet, I have never made a corner to corner blanket. (C2C)
Last week, I decided that it was time to make one for my folksy shop.
www.folksy.com/shops/teabreaks
.
Making the blanket was no problem at all but I have a very symetrical mind and so I had to make sure that when I reached the half way point I was able to work down the second side to match the first side.
That meant that the half way row had to be either a row of a single colour or the middle of an odd number of rows.
I decided to work in rows of 3. (3 white and 3 mauve.)
Working corner to corner was fun and I can only liken it to knitting a raglan sleeve....when you reach the decreases, each row gets shorter.
When I was happy with the size I started the decreases.
I have always been a person to save time and energy and found that although all the stitch patterns I looked at had 6 ch for turning....to me, it made it loose and so I cut this down to 5 ch. With all those hundreds of blocks of trebles......think of all the yarn saved by omitting just ONE ch per block !!
ALso when on the start of each decrease row it was neater to ss over alternate sts and not every stitch ,as this helped to keep the sides of the blanket straighter.
For the edging I started at a corner with 1dc,2ch,1dc then 2ch and one dc in each row end.
I then did a second row, working 2tr1ch2tr





(yes TWO and not three) in each corner and 3tr in each ch loop (NO ch between the blocks of trs....more yarn saved).
Finally I did a third row ...again starting in the corner with 1dc.2ch.1dc and then 2ch and 1dc between each 3tr block.
On my second blanket, I did the final edging row in a different colour.
I enjoyed making the first white and mauve C2C blanket so much, that I then made a multicoloured one. I did 43 rows before starting the decreases.

No comments:

Post a Comment